9.12.2011

University - Day One

As hurricane Katya's dying breaths pass over the UK with winds reaching 70mph I had my first day as a photography student at Blackpool and the Fydle College. Cutting out the two hours of traveling, my first day of the three year course was somewhat uneventful.

After an introduction from the staff we moved onto the first photography related activity of my time at the college, a pub style photography quiz. The quiz, while fun, allowed me to get to know some of the students I'll be sharing the college with. Many of the students I teamed up with appear to share the photographic passion, they have interests in most aspects of the field, a necessity if you want to get through the grueling course.

However, there were some individuals that appeared to have no idea what should really be expected of them at degree level. Photography at University or College level has a bad reputation, the fees are extortionate and there is no guarantee of a stable job at the end. This is something shared by most courses. The thing that struck me is lack of knowledge, I have read about students qualifying with barely a basic knowledge of photographic terms and techniques, have I come to work with similar people? As far as I could tell, and in no way am I elitist, they had very little idea about basic abbreviations or even definitions. And since when did camera shake become a integral part of controlling depth of field, a genuine suggestion from a fellow student.

I'll have more stories to some in Tuesday's edition!

No comments:

Post a Comment