8.25.2011

University - My Photography Education Begins Here

As a student recently accepted onto a University Level Photography Qualification I think I should introduce you to my views on British Universities and how they work.

Here in the UK University has lost its prestige, Sixth Form Students are pushed towards finding a place at University regardless of whether their chosen career benefits from an associated degree. The result of this is Degrees have become worthless yet a necessity, employers can demand a University educated candidate because there are such high numbers of degree holders flooding into the jobs market.

Because of this demand for degrees I have to go to University, but I'm not disappointed. For the next three years I'll be studying something I enjoy, I'll be experimenting any way I want and I'll be doing it with Hasselblads and Professional grade equipment.

My University of choice is Blackpool and  the Fydle College, a small-ish institution with an apparently enviable international reputation close to the centre of Blackpool . Today I had the pleasant experience of visiting the college and touring the photography department situated in the basement of an amazing Art Deco building.

Below is the Blackpool Tower, visible from the college, this is an instantly recognisable landmark to many Britons. I'm sure it will become the subject of many photos to come.

While I know that the photography career isn't easy I think I will enjoy the time I get to spend in Blackpool and the College. I'll try to update the happenings of my time spent there, as is usual in the English education system I'll start in September. I hope you continue reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment