7.30.2011

Picture of the Week

This week's photo was taken on July 22nd, the final day of my stay in Brora and the day before I traveled back down to Edinburgh for the rest of my holiday.


The photo was taken whilst walking along the beach opposite to our family owned cottage in Brora. It was late on Friday night when I decided for the first time in the week to venture down to the beach to snap some shots, I had deliberated waited for a clearer night to attempt to catch a more attractive sunset. 

I think I must have got lucky; the sun was setting, the tide had just started to make its way back in so I must have been in the right place at the right time. There was an amazing reflection of the salmon pink sky in the freshly dampened sand which I hope you can see above.

I chose to shoot in Manual; Aperture Priority is rarely going to choose the correct area to expose in these kind of conditions. I used my trusty kit lens because before-hand I hadn't decided whether to shoot wide-angle or tight, my 50mm prime would have proven equally good in the circumstances. The aperture was set 'wide open' (f5.6) though it may have been more sensible to have a smaller aperture to retain sharpness, I had plenty of room to move with a 1/100 set as my shutter speed so it would have been viable.

Post processing was minimal. As ever I used Lightroom 3 where I added contrast, sharpness, blacks and a touch of clarity. Vibrancy was boosted very slightly to appear more inline with reality.

Overall I am very pleased with the image, I captured the moment just as it appeared. I hope you enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment